Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Frottage

N: a technique in the visual arts of obtaining textural effects or images by rubbing lead, chalk, charcoal, etc., over paper laid on a granular or relief-like surface.

AKA, not the middle school version of the definition.

In an effort to get myself back on track with this printmaking gig, I decided to go back to basics and follow my instincts, my mentor would be proud. I've been following this street artist named David Baptist Chirot for a minute now and recently had the pleasure of making his acquaintance in my home-base. He's an interesting sort, you can find his blog here:

Anyway,

he uses several different processes to accomplish his pieces, including making prints using a variety of stamp techniques and rubbings. I dig this low tech method, as I dig all low tech methods and I decided to give it a try.

I chose a variety of infrastructure emblems (they're so cool here!) and juxtaposed them against one another with a little momento mori just to keep perspective.

This is just the original collage, the real deal will be in print later today:


Cheers and beers to the American way, I'm going to visit a cemetery today.

Results to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment