Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The END OF THE WORLD

Hello internet.

I've been doing a lot of reading on you lately and some of it is not so good. There seems to be a rather hostile contingent that agrees that the internet will spell the end of the world. I'm a pretty big Terminator fan so I gotta agree, you machines make me nervous. How not? With your blinking lights and your electric chords... no way man, no way.

However, lately I've also been reading some interesting things to your defense. There are online communities that are making a pretty significant difference on how people interact and communicate that isn't all that bad. Hell, I used to go to chat rooms and stir up trouble, and I'll never forget the time me and some high school buddies got drunk and played chat roulette in my sister's princess castle. Fun times. So lately I've been thinking you've been getting a bad rap.

Now, I'm an earth hugging hippie chick bent on destroying the cold and truncated means in which we communicate but if information will save the world, this is the quickest way to get it. Patton Oswald calls it ETEWAF (everything that ever was, available forever) (Wired mag, citation pending...) and that seems okay, lots of sifting. But even if everything that ever was, was available I doubt that most people would care to look it up. I guess it comes down to who you put your faith in these days, humans, or machines.

If you're reading this, you are the resistance.

1 comment:

  1. I accept to say, I’m impressed. Rarely do I appointment a blog that’s both adorning and entertaining. Your abstraction is accomplished - this accountable is something that needs added attention.
    kizlik zari

    ReplyDelete